My book available now
My book on building with LEGO Technic is available now at Amazon and elsewhere! Update: list of reviews included.
I’m happy to announce that my book: TheUnofficialLEGO®TechnicBuilder’sGuide is available for sale now. You can buy it at Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, directly at No Starch Press website, at BookDepository.co.uk, or you can check the distribution network to see who sells the book in your country.
Książka jest również dostępna w katalogu EMPIKu.
Reviews of the book (in English, unless stated otherwise):
- Amazon reviews
- Brick Fanatics
- Eurobricks 1
- Eurobricks 2
- Gimme LEGO
- ItLUG (Italian)
- LUGpol (Polish)
- Mao de ABS (Portuguese)
- Model Building Secrets
- Robotica recreativa y educativa (Spanish)
- Seaside Book Nook
- SeTechnic (French)
- The Brothers Brick
- What is best, review by Jennifer Clark
- Wired.com GeekDad
- Yahoo! Voices
The book, published by No Starch Press, focuses on explaining the theory and principles that rule the world of LEGO mechanisms, while providing plenty of practical examples. With over 350 pages printed in full color, showing more than 500 figures and 40 building instructions, the book should be helpful to any LEGO Technic enthusiast, regardless of his building skills.
While the book uses vehicular LEGO models as primary examples, the theoretical knowledge and working principles it describes can be applied to any sort of mechanism. The 20 chapters start simple for first-time builders, but quickly move to advanced material. The book covers subjects like:
- gear wheels and gear ratios
- levers and linkages
- pneumatics and custom pneumatic devices
- LEGO motors and their characteristics
- suspension and transmission systems
- the modern LEGO Power Functions system and its elements
- reinforcing your builds
- studfull system vs. studless system
- methods of scaling and modeling of various vehicles, from bikes to helicopters and airplanes, including challenges and opportunities that come with different types of vehicles
What the book does not include are complete instructions for any models that I have built. Instead, it introduces you to a vast array of mechanisms and provides examples of how to use them in your own constructions.
Eric Albrecht (Blakbird), the world-renowned collector and expert on LEGO Technic, has provided technical review of the book, and it comes with a foreword by Fernando Correia, the TechnicBRICKs editor-in-chief.